|Learn how to make paddling available to those with disabilities|
Canoeing and Kayaking for People With Disabilities will help you build on your existing knowledge of paddling techniques so you can share the sport with a variety of people with disabilities.
These topics are presented in the text:
- General guidelines for working with people with disabilities
- Information on legal requirements, including accessibility at facilities and launching and landing sites, program access, development of eligibility criteria, and assessment of facility accessibility
- Thorough coverage of common disabilities, their implications for instructors, and teaching strategies and adaptations for each disability
- Guidance in choosing gear and modifying or building equipment to meet the needs of paddlers with disabilities
- Consideration for safety and risk factors, rescue priorities, and adaptations for rolling
- Factors to consider when planning a trip, including the ratio of paddlers with and without disabilities, taking wheelchairs and mobility devices on the trip, and route selection
Numerous resources, checklists and forms are also included to assist you in running your program.
Order your copy of Canoeing and Kayaking for People With Disabilities today from the ACA eStore. Don't forget to login to your account to receive your ACA member discount!