Monday, June 13, 2016

Congratulations to June Instructor of the Month, Gerry James!



The ACA is proud to partner with Kokatat for the ACA Instructor of the Month recognition program. Instructor of the Month award recipients are featured in our Paddle eMagazine and across ACA social media channels. They also receive some complimentary Kokatat gear.

Congratulations to June Instructor of the Month, Gerry James! 



We were able to chat with Gerry about what he loves most about paddling. Here's an excerpt from our conversation...

ACA: What aspect of paddling is the most exciting and engaging to you? Approximately how much of your time do you dedicate to paddling (or thinking/training/dreaming about paddling)?

James: For me it is the exhilaration of liquid shredding up and down a waterway propelled by my own locomotion, all whilst being in commune with mother nature and fellow paddlers. When I am out paddling, my worries melt always as I become one with my board and transform into a single, graceful, efficient unit. (At least that is how it seems to me. I could look like a goof out there!)


I probably spend around 15 - 30+ hours on the water a week; touring, training, and working on my skills and infinite amounts of time dreaming about paddling. This summer my organization is going start focusing on promoting paddling safety and skills across Kentucky. I see a ton of people paddling, but often with lifejackets, proper knowledge of water hazards, etc., and I want to help educate the public. I also want to help people understand that SUP isn't something just relegated for the Floridian coasts, it's an activity we can do on our 50,000+ miles of waterways in Kentucky.

ACA: Can you please describe your activities with the Explore Kentucky Initiative?

James: The Explore Kentucky Initiative (EKI) started as a social media campaign called “ Explore Kentucky” centered around the @ExploreKentucky account and #ExploreKentucky hashtag I created. I started the project my senior year of college in 2013 in an effort to motivate Kentuckians and visitors to the Commonwealth to share their adventures, discover in a collective manner the many natural beauties that Kentucky offers, and more. 

Fast-forward to 2016, and we have over 30,000 followers on Instagram and are an organization (actively working towards nonprofit status) that is dedicated to inspiring active lifestyles fueled by adventures in Kentucky’s outdoors. We have hosted rock climbing clinics, hiking & photography workshops, guided tours, and we continue to promote adventure tourism in Kentucky. My goal as director is to host events, tell stories, and help promote a progressive, adventurous, and modern view of Kentucky.

Read the rest of our interview with Gerry in the July issue of Paddle - coming soon!


Do you know an excellent instructor who deserves recognition? Fill out this simple form to submit a nomination for the next Instructor of the Month.

You can view a list of previous Instructor of the Month awards recipients here

No comments:

Post a Comment