Friday, February 25, 2011

From the Cockpit - A view from a new Instructor


Newly certified ACA Level 4: Whitewater Kayak Instructor Dan Shea shares his thoughts about teaching:


"Getting back to the basics of paddling by instructing beginning kayak students has been an incredible experience for me. The job has its obvious perks: Who wouldn’t want to be able to paddle every day? The majority of the students happen to be people who are on vacation, relaxed, open to suggestion and looking to have fun. However, instructing has proven to be more than just an excuse to kayak all the time. Upon starting the job I already knew I loved paddling and being on the water. After a summer of instruction I discovered the pleasure of introducing people to the sport. As an instructor I see people whose initial interest and curiosity surpasses that which I possessed when I began paddling. This enthusiasm is motivating to say the least, and has made the job extremely rewarding."


No comments:

Post a Comment